Are you an internationally qualified nurse? Do you want to pursue your nursing career in Australia? But, don’t know how to get registered and start practice in Australia. Don’t worry! Here’s the short pathway for you.
Australian Health Practitioner Registration Authority (AHPRA) runs a bridging program, especially, for overseas nurses known as Initial Registration for Overseas Nurses (IRON) program.
The program is aimed to enhance nursing skills of current and qualified health professionals to adhere to Australian standards.
There are 2 types of IRON program:
Depending upon your degree you can undertake either of the IRON program and on successful completion of that program, you will be able to get your registration from AHPRA.
It is a short 10-12 week program that overseas nurses can undertake and easily get their registrations rather than going for a 1-2 year bachelor or master course.
This program enables to get your registration as a nurse in Australia.
It also equips you with the skills and knowledge that are required for nursing health force.
You get better employability chances after doing this program
It also serves as an initial, stable and secure pathway to PR.
- Evidence of current registration as a registered nurse in a country other than Australia
- A letter of referral from the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA) to study an approved bridging program in Australia. This letter stipulates your eligibility for registration as a registered nurse in Australia – Study Plus can personally help you with this service.
- Meet the relevant standard for English Language proficiency
- IELTS (7 overall with no band lower than 7)
- OET (Minimum grade of B in all bands)
- PTE (65 overall with a minimum score of 65 in each component)
- TOEFL (94 overall with a minimum score of 24 in reading, 24 in listening, 27 in writing and 23 in speaking)
- For any of the above test, within 6 months of the duration of first exam, results can be combined from two sittings if the minimum score for the specific test is reached. For e.g.: for IELTS a minimum score of 6.5 in a single specific module will still see you through as long the score is compensated with a band 7 score in a subsequent test in the same module that is taken within the next 6 months of the first test.
- In addition to above requirements, participants should also demonstrate recency of practice and clear criminal history for getting admission in IRON program
- Participants must have at least 450 hours or 3 months of experience in last 5 years.
- If you do not have this experience than you may not be able to do the IRON program and must do Bachelor or master of nursing in Australia. After completing this you will be able to register yourself as a nurse.
- Participants should also have a clear criminal history record in every country where they have lived for more than 6 months for any purpose, i.e. holidays, practice, etc.
- Applicants do not need to do the provide police check for Australia as AHPRA does it for applicants. But they do need to provide for other countries.
- Applicants can obtain their International criminal history check from any government certified vendors like fit2work.
- This program is 10 – 12 weeks long. It includes 4 weeks of theory and 8 weeks of clinical placements.
- The fees for IRON program usually starts from $12,000.