What is a Professional Year Program?
A Professional Year Program is a structured professional development program combining formal learning and workplace experience for international students who have graduated from a university in Australia. Professional Year Programs run for 12 months and are currently available in the fields of accounting, computer science and engineering – Australian industries where the demand for skilled graduates is high.
Professional Year Programs are primarily designed for students wishing to apply for permanent residency in Australia. They allow students to develop industry-specific skills through study and work experience, preparing them for professional careers in the Australian workforce.
Why should you complete a Professional Year Program?
Completing a Professional Year has several benefits:
• You earn valuable work experience in an Australian company through an internship.
• You can improve your understanding of the culture and practices within the Australian workplace.
• You learn how to communicate in a professional manner within the Australian workplace.
• You are eligible to receive five extra points for a Skilled Visa.
Who is eligible for a Professional Year Program?
You will need to have completed a degree in accounting, computer science or engineering (or a closely related area) in Australia. You must hold a Skilled — Graduate (Temporary) Visa (Subclass 485), have completed an eligible qualification within the last six months as a result of at least two years of study in Australia and possess the skills and qualifications required for an occupation listed on the Skilled Occupation List.
Engineering graduates who completed their degree at a recognised institution outside Australia are also eligible to complete a Professional Year Program in engineering. They must apply for a Skilled — Recognised Graduate (Temporary) Visa (Subclass 476).
Professional Year Program providers and further information.
The following Professional Year Programs are recognised by the Australian Government:
• CPA Australia Skilled Migration Internship Program: Accounting (SMIPA)
• Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand Skilled Migration Internship Program: Accounting
• Institute of Public Accountants (IPA) Skilled Migration Internship Program: Accounting
• The Australian Computer Society Professional Year Program
• Engineers Australia Professional Year Program
Providers we represent
We represent quality Professional Year providers with campuses all over Australia. Following are the institutes we represent: